Monday, February 12, 2007

SuperBowl: Heaps of Uninspired

Yeah - Like a bazillion other marketing / advertising people, I watched the Superbowl. Except I was forced to watch it on Global here in Ottawa and the ads sucked. Just blew. My favourite Canadian ad was Coke's take on Grand Theft Auto.

I also really liked Coke's 'What Goes Around' Ad

The reason I like these ads so much is because they're original (at least in my opinion they are - feel free to let me know if you disagree), and they reach the watching demographic perfectly. Who typically watches the Superbowl? According to Nielsen Research, 39.6% are men 18 +, and29.3% of viewers are women 18+. Is it me, or does this sound like men and their SO's? If so, on paper the demographic plus the ad choices Coke made were well matched. I know the Coke ads were not debuted at the Superbowl, but I do think it was a wise decision to buy the media time and show them.

As for the craptacular other ads, well, I don't feel like wasting my time reviewing them other than:
- The Bell beavers are tired. Really. They need to hibernate for awhile. Everyone knows beavers hibernate in Canada in the winter. If I retained anything from Hinterlands Who's who is that they need rest. As does this tired and insipid campaign. Seriously. Enough already.
- Rogers ads = equally boring.
- Deal or No Deal - nice try. Points for effort, but still lame.

And finally, one Go Daddy ad, that I understand was aired in the US really summarized marketing up perfectly. Or not. ;-)

No comments: